*Top 10 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Tax Accountant:
1. What kind of clients do you work with?
2. Are you available year round?
3. What’s your experience with the IRS?
4. Who will be doing the work?
5. Are you a conservative or a more aggressive accountant?
6. How do you bill for your services?
7. How do you handle working with multiple entries?
8. What can you tell me about the medical expense reimbursement plan?
9. What tax program do you use?
10. How and how often will we communicate about tax issues?
*Top Questions for Business Owners to Ask Their Accountant:
1. How does my business compare with competitors?
2. What is included in my cost of goods sold?
3. What is my gross profit (gross margin) percentage and is this reasonable for my type of business?
4. How can I reduce my expenses without compromising my quality or service?
5. How much net profit is my business making? Is this profit percentage worth all the effort I’m putting in?
6. What is my breakeven point and why is this important?
7. Which of my products or services are making me the most profit?
8. What can i do to improve my cash flow?
9. How much money do I have invested in the business? Would my money be better invested elsewhere?
10. Is my business in a good position financially – will it be able to survive downturn?
11. Do my employees count as independent contractors or true employees?
*Here are a some questions to ask when dealing with personal finances:
- What are the guidelines for dependents and their deductions?
- What information do I need to keep for taxes?
- What direct business expenses can I deduct?
- Is there anything I should do to increase my savings?
- How much of my home office is deductible?
- How much of my car is deductible?
- How much of my household bills and equipment is deductible?
- How much of my travel expenses are deductible?
- What re the special requirements for business deductions?
- Does the legal structure of my business matter when filing taxes?
- Better to file taxes jointly or separately?